Saturday, July 18, 2015

the kitchen makeover

So after just over three weeks, my kitchen cabinets are finished! I read some one's blog saying it had taken them three weeks, as they were also doing it during nap times and when their kids went to bed. I was really hoping mine wouldn't take that long but it did. I will say it was totally worth it!

For the white cabinets I used Benjamin Moore Advance in Dove White. It was my first time using BM and it was totally worth the $50/gallon. It gave a nice smooth finish. It only took one gallon of paint for all the white cabinets and I used a quart of the same type of BM paint for the island.

I was planing on using a liquid sander instead of having to actually sand the cabinets. I used it on one cabinet frame and the smell was so strong and horrible I knew there was no way I would be able to use it. It also took more time than sanding. Sanding was a little messier and definitely was an arm work out but it worked better for me. I thought my arm would fall off a couple of times. :)

This is the actual color of the island which is Peacock Blue. It was hard to get the accurate color in all the pictures.

So I forgot to take good before and after pictures but I found this one.

We also painted the walls... this was one thing I wasn't sure would be finished by this weekend but thanks to Matt's help, we finished it in one night.

I spray painted the knobs silver. I'm not sure how they will hold up but we shall see.

We went to a flea market today and found this typewriter for $5!

I've wanted to tackle this project for a LONG time and finally took the leap. It was definitely the biggest project I've done and I think I'm done with painting for a little while. I still have more changes that will be coming over the next couple of weeks and months with this kitchen. Right now, I'm just so glad I've made it this far. :)

2 comments:

JoHannah's Haiti Happenings said...

Love it! Congratulations on a job well done!! It looks fantastic!!! ❤️ M

Mae said...

Beautiful, bright and clean. Love it:). Neat about one coat with the BM paint